Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cuckoo sings the wrong time.


Papa, oh thank you thank you thank you!  I got my cuckoo clock back in sync!  Such a fast and easy fix!  I thank you with all my heart!  It only took a few minutes to do!  I was thrilled beyond belief to hear my cuckoo singing the correct time!

Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Jessica
P.S. The chains don't hit the floor so I don't need to shorten them I think.  If we ever move the clock (which I doubt because it's in the perfect spot) I will certainly keep in in mind! Thanks for the hint!  I will be sure to pass it on to my dad because on his trip to Germany he purchased the one for me and one for himself as well.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 17, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Cuckoo Clock Doctor wrote:
Dear Jessica, 
Thank you for your question.  I'm going to make your day because this is a real easy fix that you can do yourself and you won't even need your husband.  Don't be too hard on him.  The hour hand is simply a press on fit onto a tapered shaft.  The minute hand is the hard part so leave it be, but all you need to do is to know how many times it cuckooed last or turn the minute hand clockwise and get it to cuckoo.  Say it cuckoos 4 and the clock hand says 6.  Just move the clock hour hand to the 4 and then use your thumbnails and press down on each side of the hand right at that shaft.  Now you will have to set the correct time of course, but your clock is back in sync.
 
Another little piece of advice so you will have a long life with your clock.  If the chains run down all the way and touch the floor, either raise the clock or shorten the chains just a bit.  If you let it run down and the cuckoo weight hits the floor first, then the time will still be running and it can lock up a safety device in the clock to keep a part from breaking.  If this happens the clock will run and keep time but it will only cuckoo one time on each hour and half hour.  I just thought since it was new, and they probably didn't tell you this, that it would be helpful and save you from more trouble.  Enjoy your cuckoo, forgive your husband, and both of you have a nice weekend.
 
God Bless,
 
John  "Papa" Barnette
www.cuckooclockdoctor.com
 
From: Jessica To: Cuckoo Clock Doctor
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:53 AM
Subject: Cuckoo sings the wrong time

3 comments:

alluptou said...

I just want to say a very big THANK YOU!!!! I can't tell you how much you've helped me...I oiled my boyfriend's cuckoo clock the way you described to another person on here(very good instructions). And the clock is working again!!
I can't wait to surprise him since the clock means so much to him!
THANK YOU for your time & terrific information.

brueggy said...

Very interesting and helpful post. I have just acquired a clock that has the problem of striking only once on the hour and once on the half. If it is a result of what you called a safety feature from letting the weights hit the floor and the time continuing, and this safety mechanism kicked in, how do I now get the clock back to striking the full sequence on the hour?

Unknown said...

Doktor,
i also have the problem that the clock only sings once each hour and half hour...this began when the clock fell from the wall...the clock runs and seems to keep good time, just the cuckoo problem